As part of out series #Forgiveness Friday, today let’s talk about what life would be like IF you forgave whoever it is in your life against whom you hold resentment. That person may be a spouse, family member, co-worker, friend, doctor, stranger or even yourself.
Without worrying right now about how you would do this, I want you to imagine what life would be like IF you forgave this persons. What would be different from the way things are today?
- How would you feel emotionally? more relaxed, happy, grateful, content, joyous, fulfilled?
- How would things be different physically? Would you sleep better? Focus on eating better or exercising? Be more active? Have less pain, headaches, nausea, physical tension? Have lower blood pressure? Be healthier? (remember, stress can reduce our immune system so we are more likely to get sick)
- What would you do that is different? Smile and laugh more? Do more fun things? Try a new activity (sport, hobby, volunteering)? Not cry or yell as much? Not eat or drink as much to console yourself? Not spend as much money?
- How would your relationships improve? Spending more time with friends and family? Developing even deeper relationships with the people who are in your life already? Make new friends? Help out people more? Be more in-tuned with your loved ones? Enjoy and appreciate your relationships even more? Be a better parent, partner, spouse, friend, daughter/son, neighbor?
- What might be different at work? Would you be more productive? More creative? Less irritated by co-workers? A better team player? More profitable?
- How might this improve your spiritual health? Would you feel closer to your higher power (if that is within your belief system)? Would you be able to focus more on your purpose here in the world rather than focusing on what happened in the past?
Write out all the differences in your life IF you forgave this person. Then close your eyes and visualize this life: what it looks like, sounds like, feels like, smells like…
Figuring out your “why’s” for forgiveness is an important step in fully forgiving. And will help you be an even happier you!